Monday, July 10, 2017

Castlevania.. I wont be coming back for a second visit.

Castlevania is now available for streaming on Netflix..and we all need to stop acting as if it is spectacular. First of all let me put a spin on my review here. I'm a kid from the 80s, I had access to this game as my dad had a copy of it in his video store. The box was awesome, plus..vampires. I had to play. I remember being really disappointed becasue the graphics were just not the level of Mario brothers or even The Legend of Zelda. The game was ok, it was playable, it was not the best game I had ever played. It was often available at the video store, so apparently I wasn't the only person who thought this.

Fast forward to summer 2017 and there is a series available based on the game to watch. Well Castlevania might not have been the BEST game but the back story woudl make for an amazing move, I can totally see Liam Hemsworth as Simon..oh wait it isnt live action, and there is no Simon. Oh ok ..turns on cartoon.. animation looks low grade and half assed.. oh well why woudl I expect anything less from Castlevania.
So let me be serious for a second here..first of all the trouble stars with he open. Dracula falls in love with a human woman. There really isnt any development to this, no why or how..he just does. ok. She tries to help the people of the town.. I really don't know why they are sick through. I don't know how Dracula fits into all of this..and I also don't really know what she did, exactly, to help. Whatever they decide to burn her at the stake as a witch. Then they start going on and on about how this is good..I don't know what they were talking about, I was so bored I blacked out for a few minutes. Dracula is pissed and gives the town a year to pack up in leave. Spoiler they don't. I don't know WHY they don't, but they don't. Let me tell you right now that if Dracula told me hey, if you don't leave here I will rain hell down upon you..I'd get out.
A priest mocks Dracula and he then starts the hole fire raining down thing. Whoever wrote this story, by the way, hates church. It's pretty lame too. You get tirades against the Catholic church that I can only imagine comes from someone who got spanked by some nun way to many times as a kid. anyway, they invest this religious sect called the seekers who kinda take the place of the traditional holy cross thing in the series. Its annoying beyond belief.
Anyway then we finally meet Trever Belmont..not Simon..but Trever. Anyway. there is a pointless bar fight..he finds the seekers. They establish him (poorly might I add) as an anti-hero. In fact the character in no way is engaging or fun to watch..tie all of this up in animation so low grade that even the mouths don't sinc up to the words when the characters are talking.
Seriously this series is nothing but a hot pile of mess. I can say that the show does pick up in the last ten minutes of the last episode. However none of that fixes the fact that the entire series was established completely wrong. If you enjoyed Castlevania..I can only imagine it was becasue you disparately wanted to. It is not a good stand alone horror piece, it is not a well drawn animation, it is not a good companion or back story to the games. Its just.. a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment