Thursday, October 27, 2016

Wolf Creek: Horror Done Down Under

I should start off with this review by saying I have never seen the film Wolf Creek. Slasher is rarely my kind of horror but for some reason this television adaption piqued my interest. I have seen the first episode and not the full 6 episode series. I’m watching it as it airs along with you guys. Therefore keep that in mind as you read this review.
Basically the series is about a teen struggling with drug addition whose family, for some reason thinks a vacation in the Australian outback will cure them. Yeah, that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me either. Anyway then the family meets a random Australian guy and invites him to chill with them, like every other American family on holiday in the middle of no where in a strange country would do. Sure. OK. Crazy guy kills family except druggie girl who vows revenge. Well that’s good at least, who doesn’t like a revenge film?
Now, I’m no fan of slasher films, as I said before..but really the cinematography on this show is beyond epic. Way beyond what I expect for a tv show on an unfamiliar tv station about a serial killer. Lots of wide landscape shots and mood setting colors that look like they are filtered though fear. That’s said, a big reason Why those wide screen shots look so cinematic is because the series was shot on location in Australia. Also of note is the fact that the guy who played the protagonist in the movies reprized his role for the TV series. His character is based on Ivan Milat who was a serial killer in Australia in the 90’s.  Played by John Jarrett, this character isn’t so much frightening as odd. There you are having a perfectly normal conversation with him and them, boom..he has slashed your throat. There is no build up of fear or suspense. none at all. Personally as a villain I don’t think this character fully qualifies.
Our tourist played by Lucy Fry is not very believable as a young women so angry at the death of her family that she decides to go after a serial killer. I quite honestly just don’t believe her. For someone to decide to stay in a foreign country, in the outback of all places, tracking down a serial killer…I need to believe she has cracked just a little bit. I need to feel her anger. Lucy however just displays quiet thoughtfulness. Its a real shame she didn’t take her character just a bit further, I would have liked to see a stronger more angry character in the lead role.
Basically I think if you really like slasher types of horror, this series will go beyond your expectations. Normally slashers have poor film quality and I can honestly say that is not the case here. If you are more into revenge films, as I am, I’m not sure the lead actress is going to fill your expectation of woman on a mission. The show is generally enjoyable though and a decent way to spend a fall afternoon. I give the show three out of five stars for the beautiful wide shots and enough drama to at least bring me back for episode two. Wolf Creek airs on Pop please check your local listings for dates and times. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=devWwSCw12A

No comments:

Post a Comment