Friday, September 23, 2016

Miss Peregrine's....


I saw Miss Peregine's Home for Peculiar Children last night. SPOILERS..if you haven't read the book and don't want to know whats going to happen, don't read my review. However if you are an adult I suggest you do read it anyway because you have to know what im about to tell you in order to decide if you want to see the movie..basically.
I've never read the books so I really didn't know what to expect at all, I had very little clue what was going to happen. In general I really dislike children's movies. I just can no longer relate to people that much younger than I am. SO part of my problem with the film is exactly that, I'm sure.
In general I think the cinematography was great, the actors good, and the movie was fun. Safe enough for a child, in fact if I was 6-13 I would probably love this film.
I'm not 6-13 though and quite frankly the idea of staying a child forever is terrible. Basically all the the peculiar people are prisoners and unable to leave a single day they must live over and over. They never grow up. It sounds horrible. This really COULD be a horro film had the author just taken another road with the film. HA!
Further there is a romance between two children. The hero of the story is romantically involved with his grandfathers ex girlfriend. Yeah, not creepy in the least. Not to mention what is the point in a romance at that age, are they going to get married, have sex, children? They can grow up or age. They are basically tapped as a child. So I seriously am confused. Oh-and they have a jailer, Ms. Peregine who tells them what to do, every day..even though they really no longer children as they have been living the same day for about 75 years.
Right, so there is alot more to this film and I could talk about that and give a real review but I can't because of those facts. What the hell is the author thinking, how is this such a popular book..is no one else really upset by the romance between the children and the fact they live in what is basically a prison?

*also why the hell do the peculiars need eternal life if they can live in a freaking time loop for eternity? dude this story is stupid.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about twilight. "Let me get this straight. You're theoretically immortal, so what did you do? You went to high school for the last 100 years?!? What a waste!"

    ReplyDelete